NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN
BY ENTERING, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES
1. CONTEST PERIOD: The AXE THE LABEL Contest (the " Contest") starts October 1, 2018 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") and ends November 16, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET (" Contest Period") and consists of two (2) separate Phases (each, a "Phase") as follows: "Phase 1" starts at 12:00 a.m. ET on October 1, 2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on October 28, 2018 and "Phase 2" starts at 12:00 a.m. ET on October 29, 2018 and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on November 16, 2018.
2. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States, including the District of Columbia, who are thirteen (13) years of age or older as of date of entry and have a current, valid account on SoundCloud as of the date of entry and through the completion of the Contest, and are not members of any music or artist union or guild or are currently signed to a music recording contract or publishing deal. Minors must have parental or legal guardian permission to enter, and upon request of Sponsor or Administrator, such parental/legal guardian permission may be required to confirm such permission in writing on a form supplied by Sponsor/Administrator. Employees, officers and directors, of Conopco, Inc., d/b/a Unilever (the "Sponsor "), Don Jagoda Associates, Inc. (the "Administrator"), Sponsor's advertising, public relations, promotional agencies (collectively "Sponsor's Agencies"), Lil Yachty, SoundCloud, Operations, Inc. ("SoundCloud"), Zaytoven, Capital Records, Universal Music Publishing (the "Music Entities") and any other entities involved in the administration, execution, judging or fulfillment of the Contest (the "Executional Entities"), and the immediate family members of such employees/officers/directors (defined as parents, spouses, children, siblings whether biological, adopted, "step," or in-law) and those living in the same household of such employees/officers/directors, are not eligible to enter or win a prize in the Contest. Sponsor, Administrator, Sponsor's Agencies, Music Entities and the Executional Entities shall be referred to collectively herein as the " Contest Parties." Employees, officers and directors of any of the affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, divisions, suppliers, distributors of said Contest Parties are also not eligible to enter or win a prize in the Contest, nor are their immediate family members or household members. Void where prohibited by law. Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws. By entering, you agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor and judges, which are final and binding in all respects.
3. HOW IT WORKS: During Phase 1, Lil Yachty (" Artist") will post a partially completed track (missing the "hook") (the "Track") on his SoundCloud page at axethelabel.soundcloud.com and entrants will have the opportunity to help Artist complete the Track by writing original lyrics for the "hook". Entrants can enter during Phase 1 utilizing the Track as further explained below and can submit an Entry (as defined below). At the conclusion of Phase 1, one (1) winner will be determined (see below for winner determination criteria) whose "hook" will be performed by the Artist (with an official writing credit given to the winner). During Phase 2, a Zaytoven instrumental track (the "Instrumental Track") will be available for potential rapper entrants and a Zaytoven beat pack (the " Beat Pack") will be available for potential producer entrants on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud page at axethelabel.soundcloud.com. During Phase 2, entrants can submit an Entry as either a producer or a rapper or both (as further explained below). Two (2) winners will be determined at the conclusion of Phase 2 to be featured on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud playlist - one of the Phase 2 winners will be a rapper entrant and the other Phase 2 winner will be a producer entrant. Seven (7) Honorable Mention winners will also be determined from among the Entrants who entered during Phase 2 to be featured on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud playlist.
4. HOW TO ENTER: If you are a minor, your parent or legal guardian must consent to you entering this Contest prior to Entry.
- Entry during Phase 1: To enter during Phase 1, you must help Artist complete the Track by commenting in the comments section on Artist's SoundCloud page using the hashtag #AXEtheLABEL #Contest at axethelabel.soundcloud.com with original lyrics for the "hook" ("Lyrics") to receive one (1) entry ( "Phase 1 Entry"). Once the winner has been determined, Artist will re-record the Track with the winner's Lyrics included. The completed track will be referred to as the "Lil Yachty Song". Lyrics must be 1,000 characters or less.
Entry during Phase 2:
There are two (2) ways to enter during Phase 2, as follows:
- If you wish to enter during Phase 2 as a rapper, you must first download the Instrumental Track on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud page at axethelabel.soundcloud.com and create your original rap song by recording your own, original lyrics over the Instrumental track (the " Rapper Song"). Then, upload your Rapper Song on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud page ("Site") to receive one (1) entry ("Phase 2 Entry").
- If you wish to enter during Phase 2 as a producer, you must first download the Beat Pack on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud page at axethelabel.soundcloud.com and produce your own, original song (with or without lyrics) with the Beat Pack (collectively, " Producer Song"). Then, upload your Producer Song to receive one (1) entry ("Phase 2 Entry").
Rappers and producers may collaborate to submit a Phase 2 Entry. If you are collaborating, only the person submitting the Phase 2 Entry will be deemed the Entrant (as defined below). You, as the entrant, may provide the participants who you are collaborating with. Those participants/parent or legal guardian of any minor participant ("collaborators") must provide written approval of their participation (or their parent or legal guardian for any minor collaborators) and then they will be considered a part of your Entry.
5. Entry Requirements: By submitting an Entry, you (and parent/legal guardian if you are a minor in your state of residence) and winners/collaborators hereby acknowledge and agree that your/their Entry, and all right, title and interest therein, becomes the property of Capitol Records and Universal Music Publishing (and full ownership is assigned to them) and it is considered a "work for hire", and a complete buyout of Entry, with no further compensation provided or owed to you, as Entrant or winner. You (and collaborators) hereby expressly disclaim any interest in the Entry and agree not to assert any moral rights under applicable copyright or other comparable law. Further, you (and collaborators) hereby grant the Music Entities all rights and ownership to the Entry so they may edit, modify, cut, rearrange, add to, delete from, reproduce, encode, store, modify, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse your Entry, name, Song, and biographical material including, but not limited to, all materials submitted in connection with the Contest in any and all media, throughout the world, and in any manner, for trade, advertising, promotional, commercial, or any other purposes without further review, notice, approval, consideration, or compensation to participant or any third party and participant (and collaborators) agree to execute any necessary documents confirming such rights and ownership at Sponsor's reasonable request.
6. Entries must meet the following criteria, as determined solely by Sponsor, of they may be disqualified in Sponsor's sole discretion:
- Must not contain obscene, lewd, defamatory, inappropriate, disparaging, offensive, racist, homophobic, sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or threatening content.
- Must not be disparaging to Sponsor or any of the Contest Parties.
- Must be consistent with Sponsor's and Artist's positive images.
- Must not promote illegal drugs, tobacco, or firearms/weapons.
- Must not defame or invade publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or proprietary rights.
- Must not contain any copyrighted material unless owned by the Entrant.
- Must not use third party music, lyrics or other materials (other than that Entrant may use the provided Track/Instrumental Pack/Beat Pack, as permitted herein).
- Must not misappropriate third party intellectual property rights.
- Must be the sole, original work of the Entrant submitting the Entry.
- Must include original Lyrics with the provided Track (if submitted during Phase 1) and must include an original performance (if submitted during Phase 2) with the provided Instrumental Pack/Beat Pack.
- Must not use any third party names, trademarks, logos, or other commercial indication that identifies a brand.
Sponsor, in its sole discretion may disqualify an Entry that fails to conform with the Entry requirements or it may opt not to disqualify the Entry and blur or black out the infringing material and judge those portions that remain if it deems the remaining portions contain significant material worthy of consideration, in Sponsor's sole discretion, which is not subject to appeal. Automated, script, macro or robotic Entries submitted by individuals will be disqualified. Entries may be posted on the Sponsor's website or the Site and/or Artist's sites and may be posted on other non-affiliated websites, in Sponsor's sole discretion. Any Entry not in compliance with the above or which does not otherwise meet the requirements of these Official Rules will be disqualified. Any Entry which is determined to contain, or potentially contain, infringing content (either by judges own expertise or by SoundCloud's content recognition systems, and whether or not it would be proved against Entrant as infringing in a court of law), may be disqualified by Sponsor and/or SoundCloud's, in such parties discretion. By participating, Entrants (or parent/legal guardian if Entrant is a minor in his/her state of residence) and collaborators agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor/Judges (as applicable), which shall be final and binding in all respects.
7. PHASE 1 ENTRY JUDGING: One (1) Grand Prize winner will be determined from among all eligible Phase 1 Entries received on or about November 1, 2018 by a panel of judges comprised of Sponsor-selected music industry judges, whose decisions are final on all matters relating to the Contest, based on the following criteria: 40% Relevance to Track; 30% Talent Exhibited; and 30% Originality/Creativity (collectively, " Phase 1 Judging Criteria"). In the event of a tie score, the tied Entries will be re-judged based solely on Talent Exhibited.
8. PHASE 2 ENTRY JUDGING: Two (2) Grand Prize winners will be determined from among all eligible Phase 2 Entries received on or about November 20, 2018 by a panel of judges comprised of Sponsor-selected music industry judges, whose decisions are final on all matters relating to the Contest, based on the following criteria: 40% Use of Instrumental Pack/Beat Pack (as applicable); 30% Talent Exhibited; and 30% Originality/Creativity (collectively, "Phase 2 Judging Criteria"). In the event of a tie score, the tied Entries will be re-judged based solely on Talent Exhibited.
9. HONORABLE MENTION: Seven (7) Entrants will be identified as Honorable Mention winners and will be determined from among all eligible Entries received during Phase 2 only. The Honorable Mentions will be the Entrants in Phase 2 that have the next highest scores after the verified winners based on the Phase 2 Judging Criteria identified above for Phase 2.
10. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE ("ARV"): Grand Prize (3 total - 1 from Phase 1 and 2 from Phase 2): Each Grand Prize winner's winning Song will be featured on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud playlist and will be listed (along with any collaborators, as applicable) as a co-writer/co-producer on the Finished Song (if any, as described in Rule 10, below). Grand Prize winners will also receive $2,500, awarded in the form of a check, as a complete buyout and "work for hire" (as outlined above in Rule 5 above) and Sponsor-selected custom AXE cans (ARV: $2,600 each). Honorable Mention Prizes (7 total): Each Honorable Mention winner's winning Song will be featured on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud playlist. Honorable Mention Prize winners will also receive Sponsor-selected custom AXE cans (ARV: $100 each). There is no retail value associated with the Playlist portion of either prize and winners will not receive payment. Playlist details are in Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor will determine all details of each Song's feature on the AXE THE LABEL SoundCloud playlist. Grand Prize winners understand that they get songwriting credit for the time their Song is featured on the playlist on SoundCloud and for promotional purposes through June 30, 2019, they will receive a cash prize, as indicated above but they do not have any further rights to the lyrical contributions they have made as part of the Contest, and do not own the song.
11. GENERAL: Once Grand Prize winning Entries have been determined, Sponsor and/or Artist may change and/or modify, as appropriate and re-master in order to produce a "Finished Song" (to be recorded by Artist or another artist as determined by Artist or the other Music Entities) and winning Entrants must agree that Sponsor and/or Artist may do so, in their sole discretion. Judges' decisions are final and not appealable with respect to all matters relating to the Contest. Potential winners will be notified by email (the " Winner Notification"). Potential winners (or their parents/legal guardians if they are a minor in their state of residence) will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, liability and publicity release and assignment of ownership of Entry, except where prohibited (collectively "Winner Verification Documents"), within twenty four (24) hours of notification (including weekends). If a potential winner fails to return the completed Winner Verification Documents within twenty four (24) hours, or if Winner Notification Documents are returned as undeliverable or if a potential winner is deemed ineligible or not in compliance with the Official Rules, an alternate winner will be determined based on the next highest score in that Phase. Winner Notification Documents will be sent to potential winners via email (or email link). Return of Winner Notification Documents as undeliverable may result in disqualification and alternate winner will be determined based on the next highest score in that Phase. If applicable, Sponsor reserves the right to conduct a background check on the winners and reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any winner based on the results of such background check, if Sponsor determines in its sole discretion that awarding the prize to such winner might reflect negatively on Sponsor. Factors that would result in disqualification of a winner include, without limitation, any winner having been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, being delinquent on a government ordered payment, such as child support, spousal support, alimony, tax payments, etc. Prizes are not transferable and may not be substituted or redeemed for cash. In case prize becomes unavailable, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All taxes on prizes are the responsibility of the winner. Unclaimed prizes may not be awarded. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any person who tampers with the entrance process or who fails to conduct him/herself in a proper or sportsmanlike manner, as determined solely by Sponsor. Winners and all Entrants (or parent/legal guardian if winner/Entrant is a minor in his/her state of residence) and collaborators, as a condition of entry into the Contest, agree to release and hold harmless all of the Contest Parties and each of their respective agencies, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and each of their respective officers, directors, shareholders, members, employees, agents, assigns, and all others associated with the development and execution of the Contest (collectively the "Released Parties") from and against any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons or property which may be sustained in connection with submitting an Entry or otherwise participating in any aspect of the Contest, the receipt, ownership or use of any prize awarded or any typographical or other error in these Official Rules or the announcement or offering of the prizes. Entrants assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused by participation in the Contest or use or redemption of the prizes or participation in any event associated with the Contest or with any prize. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to use winners'/collaborators' names, likenesses, footage, Entries (including any possible public relations opportunities) without further compensation, except where prohibited by law. By entering, Entrants (or parent/legal guardian if winner/Entrant is a minor in his/her state of residence) and collaborators accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; violates these Official Rules; acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner; or acts with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. The Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete or damaged Entries or communications. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network or telephone connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, garbled or delayed electronic/telephone communications, whether caused by the sender, by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest which may limit the ability to participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the Entries in the Contest. Entries generated by script or bot are not eligible. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify the Contest if it cannot be completed as planned for any reason, including but not limited to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical failures or corruption of any sort. In such event, Sponsor will determine the winners from eligible Entries received (from Phase 1 Entries and Phase 2 Entries, as applicable) prior to cancellation as outlined above. As a condition of entering the Contest, Entrant (or parent/legal guardian if Entrant is a minor in his/her state of residence) agrees that: 1) under no circumstance will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and Entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental, consequential or any other damages, other than for out-of-pocket expenses; 2) all causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest, or prize awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and 3) any and all claims, judgments, and award shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, but in no event will Entrant be entitled to receive attorneys' fees or other legal costs.
12. Choice of Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Participant, Sponsor, or any Contest Parties in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the state of New York.
13. WINNER'S LIST: For the names of the winners, available after December 20, 2018, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope by January 19, 2019 to: AXE THE LABEL Contest - Winners, 100 Marcus Drive, Dept: CG, Melville, NY 11747.
The Sponsor of the Contest is Conopco, Inc., d/b/a Unilever, 800 Sylvan Ave., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632.